What's the motive?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

All day long I had this nagging question taking up space in my brain, "Why do you want to blog?" Am I really ready to make a commitment to writing down my thoughts and sharing my little, boring life with others? Who would read it anyway? Who is it for? Is it for me? Or was I just so intrigued with the whole Julie & Julie movie? Is this just a way to make my time at home more meaningful?

I think I have arrived at some level of understanding about my motives. Here's what I believe to be my reasons for this new blog.

1. I like writing. I like words. I like journaling. I like the "idea" of collecting my random thoughts to somehow make them more orderly.

2. I am addicted to learning about technology, web 2.0, social networking and the whole shift that our world is making in how we interact, react, and learn from each other. I want to be part of it.

3. I need structure. I will dwindle my days away at home if I am not careful. It seems if I have a list of things I want to do--I'm more likely to do them. I want my time with my children to be meaningful and I need to plan out our days together.

4. I hope to discover something about myself. Not sure what that is exactly. Haven't discovered it yet!

5. I want to share some things about teaching, organizing, cooking, and simple living. I would also like to share things about technology. How I will weave those things together, I don't know.

6. I want to connect with other SAHMs out there.

7. Okay...okay...maybe it would be cool to have some followers.  It might be neat to have someone become interested in my life. But how does that happen? That seems pretty unlikely at this point and should not be a reason to blog. That could lead to something I think of as "tech rejection". Kindof like when you post on Facebook and no one responds, and you swear it was a super cool status update! Definitely not a motive I want to embrace. But also need to acknowledge that that is something in the wee back of my brain. (is it for all bloggers...??)

8. Last,  but not least, if you keep a blog, it will keep you. I think it will help me become more present in my life, force me to reflect, and also document my days. I have a awful memory~ maybe this blog will help me to remember those things as I recreate them in writing.

Well, I guess I have successfully convinced my self to go ahead with the project. I will try it for one month and reevaluate then.

Bye for now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment