Live in the NOW? Can I plan to do that??

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

    Yesterday, strangely enough, I was told by a doctor that I need to  start "living in the now". I was taken aback by his words because first of all I was in his office to talk about physical aliments. Secondly, I like to pride myself on being able to enjoy the little things and being thankful for the small moments. But...maybe I am not doing as well as I thought. What have I been thinking about lately?
I try to keep myself in check today and take note of things I was thinking about. Here's what I found...


• Should we buy that house around the corner...or keep looking...
• Should I check the job site again to see if the position I applied for is still posted...what if I don't get that job...
• Ben needs a haircut--so do I. I better make some appointments next week.
• I hope the kids like their swimming lessons next week. I hope we can adjust to the added "running"
• I really need to get back to the gym. Since I have had headaches I haven't been working out.
• I am going to start doing math drills with Adam---he doesn't like them and if we do them together he will get better.

Humm....all those things are in the future. Maybe that doctor was right.  Did I enjoy the day, right now, right here?  I did notice that I reallllyyy enjoyed my coffee this morning today. I also smelled Ben's hair when I was working with him on his letters and felt his excitement when he drew a Z-- also noticed he needed to get it cut. Nathan kissed me in the bathroom this morning and I thought how I am glad I am married.

Don't we all live a little in the future? How else can we plan or dream? Like everything, it has to be a balance, right?  I wonder what it would be like if for one week I really lived in the now, the present and only tried to think about what is happening as it unfolds around me? Can someone do that and run a household? Maybe if I start just "noticing", just stopping and becoming "mindful".

Here's wiki's definition. Just some food for thought.

What do you do to live in the now? Please share if you have some insights.


 picture from  ineedmotivation.com

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice points. I laughed at the title of your post because it's so familiar to me. I'm also working on achieving mindfulness, and I know how hard it is with little ones about. At the same time, it's even more important to try to live in the moment now than it was before we became parents. We're doing it for ourselves, and we're also setting an example for our children.

Post a Comment